Selecting/getting porcelain 1-cup pour-over filter holder cone
Frank
2010-07-12 03:08:49 UTC
For years, I've been planning to switch away from my plastic one-cup
coffee cone. I want to find the right size to allow me to use up my
lifetime supply of Melitta #2 filters. After considerable surfing,
I've identified three distinct porcelain coffee cones. One is from
China, and I think I want to give them a few more years to improve
their safety and quality control before getting food products from
there.

Which one is preferred by those who have tried them? Here they are.
I'd also be looking for a means of getting them in Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada (not in mass, since am an individual end-using consumer). I
will go through individual shipping if they can't be found retail
(they seem to be exceedingly rare in the retail scene, and the few
that I've found are made in China).

1. Hario (Japan)
----------------
* http://www.harioglass.com/global/coffee/dripper.html
- All the VD series
- Seems only purchasable from Amazon
• "Order" button lists subset of VD's @amazon
* Searching for "Hario coffee dripper" at Amazon shows a more
succinct hit list

* Selected subset if Hario cones also sold at:
- http://prima-coffee.com/manufacturers?tid_2[]=1488
- http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/store/product/id/3206
- http://www.roastmasters.com/hario-ceramic.html

* Additionally reviewed at:
- http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/hariov60/BoldJava/5675

2. Germany
----------
Bald Mountain
* http://tinyurl.com/2e3he97
* On my browser, much of the storyline falls beyond the viewing area
- You can get the whole storyline by clicking on any one product

3. China
--------
Fante's Kitchen Wares Shop
* http://www.fantes.com/coffee-manualdrip.html#stainless
* Products 120291 and 11901

4. Unknown manufacturers
------------------------
* Searching for "Hario coffee dripper" at Amazon also shows products
from "Frieling" and Harold Import Company
- Visiting those companies do not reveal whether they simply Hario
products being sold under another name
• http://frieling.com/products/coffee-and-tea-essentials
• http://www.haroldimport.com/HIC/HIC_home/tea_coffee.html

* Kitchenworks
- http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/1593/Filters%20and%20Filter%20Cones
- Products 970942 and 970940
Frank
2010-07-12 04:00:54 UTC
I forgot Bee House (number zero below)!
Post by Frank
For years, I've been planning to switch away from my plastic one-cup
coffee cone. I want to find the right size to allow me to use up my
lifetime supply of Melitta #2 filters. After considerable surfing,
I've identified three distinct porcelain coffee cones. One is from
China, and I think I want to give them a few more years to improve
their safety and quality control before getting food products from
there.
Which one is preferred by those who have tried them? Here they are.
I'd also be looking for a means of getting them in Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada (not in mass, since am an individual end-using consumer). I
will go through individual shipping if they can't be found retail
(they seem to be exceedingly rare in the retail scene, and the few
that I've found are made in China).
0. Bee House (US)
* http://www.beehouseteapot.com/beehouse-tabletop.htm
* I hope it is made in the U.S.
* Opening sentence merely says that Beehouse makes them, but not
whether it is through offshore contracting to places with dubious
track records
Post by Frank
1. Hario (Japan)